Saturday 21 January 2017

A Prayer for Akuffo Addo is A Prayer for Ghana

 






Looking back and reflecting on the happenings during the campaign period, particularly over the weeks leading up to the 7th December Election, as the idea circulated in the minds of most Ghanaians that election results might be heavily protested, I noticed the focus was, to a large extent, on the presidential candidate of the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP), Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo and his running mate Alhaji Mahamudu Bawumia PhD, and the supporters of the NPP. This is not to say that there was no focus on the John Dramani Mahama and the NDC camp. Perhaps the focus on the NPP camp was at the level it was because the NPP had carved a reputation for itself having protested the previous presidential election. Also, the focus was more on the NPP and the Nana Addo camp because until now, a sitting president has never lost an election.

However, depending upon your political association and personal views, as well as your source of news, there would be no cause for worry from the camp.
The December 7th election presented a stupendous defeat and trauma moment for the NDC and its supporters. So what's the appropriate response to that moment for the NDC faithfuls? Through WhatsApp chats, Facebook posts, blog posts and tweets, I've heard from so many NDC faithfuls - their disappointment over the election results, the fear over what life under the Nana Addo regime will be like for most of the NDC big guns. Their frustration and tears, and for some, the fear that the Nana Addo regime has nothing to offer to promote the development agenda of Ghana than to witch-hunt the big guns in the NDC, has become the song on their lips.

Let me propose a more neutral perspective to both camps - "take it to the Lord in prayer."
As for me, I'll be praying  as someone who went to the polls unenthusiastic about the two major candidates for president because none was able to convince me enough. But I voted because I had hope, and I wish that all over Ghana, people will accept that change has come so we need to move forward.

And as president Nana Addo stated in his inaugural speech, that we should all be responsible and play our part in moving Ghana forward, I shall pray that, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, president of Ghana, will be a better president than most people expect. I pray that he will be open to life transforming perspectives regardless of whichever quarters they originate from. I pray that he will receive advice and good counsel from the team he will assemble. I pray also that he will open his heart, mind eyes and ears to those outside of his chosen team, who have the interest of Ghana at heart. Most importantly, I pray that Nana Addo becomes the most successful president yet, because Nana Addo's success is Ghana's success.

I was particularly happy when I heard former president, John Dramani Mahama encouraging everyone to give the new president all the support he needs. I therefore appeal to every Ghanaian, regardless of which camp you belong or faith, to pray for president Akufo-Addo because a prayer for Akufo-Addo, is a prayer for Ghana.

No comments: